A few days ago in work, I was talking to one of the guys about things I'd taken in school. After the usual what-I-did-for-A-Levels, we got on to the fact that I did an Open University in Shakespeare and a one year course in Latin when I was 15. Our conversation moved on to our mutual interest in Greek mythology and then about how I was part of the Archery society in University.
I didn't really think much of what I was saying. We were just getting to know each other and I was saying anything particularly singular or original. Obviously I'm proud of what I've achieved and done but it's a quiet pride, I wasn't bragging and as they happened so long ago, I wasn't even telling him because of that pride. It was just more answering questions and being involved in what was becoming a very entertaining conversation.
I can't remember what the conversation had moved to, or what I had said but suddenly, the guy looked at me and said "Wow, you're so interesting." I smiled and said thank you, not letting on just how much that compliment meant to me.
Just writing that down still makes me pause and smile. I don't even know how to follow it other than to say that I think that is one of the best compliments I have ever been given.
Don't get me wrong, I love it when someone compliments me on my appearance. There's nothing that can brighten my day more than someone letting me know they like my make-up or my hair or the clothes that I'm wearing. Since I believe appearance is an important expression of self, it's always nice to know that it is liked or admired.
It's just that compliment... Obviously who I am isn't an expression of myself, it is myself. My achievements and my opinions and the things I've done... They make up who I am. They are part of my character and have helped shape the person I am today.
Being boring is my biggest fear. Ever since I was old enough to read, I've wanted to be the character whose words capture the attention of everyone in the room. Someone who can make people laugh, cheer them up, captivate them. I never wanted to be boring. To be boring would be insufferable.
I think that's why I think that compliment meant so much. Interesting is not boring. Interesting is something that will never be boring. It is what makes thing so enjoyable. Like the picture says, interesting can make something endlessly fascinating. I don't think there could be a better compliment in the world than that.
And if there is one thing I have learned from this, it is that I want to always be thought interesting by the people who meet me.
Saturday, 24 August 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment