Pages

Friday, 23 August 2013

Austen, Romans and Stonehenge

When Anthony and I weren't walking ridiculously far, sitting behind clocks or visiting Circuses and Crescents, we spent a lot of time just wandering around Bath, discovering sweet little side streets and visiting everything to do with Jane Austen.
We spent one evening visiting the Roman Baths. While we weren't sure what we paid for the visit was really worth it, seeing the Baths lit by candlelight was an unforgettable experience. I'm so glad we decided to go in the evening. There were hardly any people and the Baths looked even more impressive in the setting sun and darkness.
Our last morning in Bath began at 5:30am after the worst nights sleep I've ever had in a hotel. The room was too hot to sleep in (the hotel ran out of fans!) and annoyingly, the only time it was cool enough to actually sleep was just as my alarm went off. Typical, right?

We did have a good reason for getting up though. Good enough that we did get up, even though I'm fairly sure I was still asleep for the first 15 minutes of driving...

A few months previously, we had booked and paid for  Stone Circle Access. What is that, you might be wondering. Basically Anthony and I paid to have the chance to be able to walk around Stonehenge. We wouldn't have to stand at a safe distance like we would have if we had come during the day. We had a full hour to walk around Stonehenge and take as many photographs as we'd like.

It was without a doubt one of the coolest experiences of my life. I have the usual photographs and then I have ones of me pretending to push the rocks away, I have photos of us stood beneath the pillars and even a close up photo of the 18th century writing carved in to one of the rocks.

Unfortunately I don't think I can share the photos here (the form confused me and so I'm going to be safe rather than sorry) but I will say that if you ever get the chance to do it, I really think you should. What I wouldn't recommend is accidentally kicking part of the prehistoric monument. That is not a good idea. At all.

It was the best way to end our little holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment