Pages

Wednesday, 14 August 2013

The Circus, The Crescent and a Sun Set City

I've wanted to go to Bath ever since I was 14/15 and read my first Jane Austen novel. I knew it would be nothing like it was in the books (mainly because they were written about two hundred years ago) but I still wanted to visit the places I imagined so vividly in my mind. I'm almost embarrassed to say that even though I live less than an hour away from Bath, my first visit there was during mine and Anthony's trip there a couple of weeks ago.
In true British summer style, our first full day in Bath began with pouring rain. Not people to be deterred, we ignored the weather and set off to explore the city. I managed to pick the absolute worst shoes to wear ever. Quick tip, if you're going to be walking a lot and there's a possibility it will pour down with rain, do not wear shoes that are predominately made up of a lace-type material. The rain will obviously go through the gaps in your shoes, you will get blisters and your mood will suffer greatly for it.

We walked through the city and I think my eyes were on stalks, I was so desperate to see everything. As always, the beautiful city stole my heart and I bored Anthony with tales of how I had to live there one day.

We walked to The Circus and even Anthony was impressed. The circle of houses were different to Anthony I'd ever seen before. We walked all the way around, snapping pictures and discussing which house we'd like to live before walking down one of the side streets.
Our street ended up taking us to The Royal Crescent. I think it was very appropriate that the sky was black and rolls of thunder followed our visit to the Crescent. It was pretty amazing, the weather had to do a lot to try and take our attention away from it.
We managed to avoid the torrential rain by visiting Number 1 Royal Crescent, a house that has been converted in to a little museum. Everyone inside is dressed in the fashion of the 1800s and each room has it's own page in your little tour book and the guides were more than happy to give you extra information.
Our day finished with a a long walk and a mini picnic style tea. We retired early, worn out from all the walking (although we had no idea how much there would be during the next day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment