Our second day in Amsterdam was without a doubt my favourite day of the trip. We rented bikes and spent six hours cycling around Amsterdam, with quick stops for delicious sandwiches and much needed drinks. Although Amsterdam is completely bicycle friendly and literally everyone seems to ride a bike, I can definitely understand why the locals hate it when tourists do it. We cycled in front of moving trams, stopped traffic, cycled through huge groups of people, annoyed almost every other cyclist behind us and I even managed to hit a poor passerby with my bike. My biggest failure was trying to get used to how to break. Unlike every other bike I've ever ridden, the bikes we rented only had one break on the handlebars (it was the "emergency break" and was unbearably squeaky) and the main way to break was to peddle backwards. Yep, you read that right. To stop the bike, you had to peddle backwards. Everyone other than me seemed to get the hang of this straight away. I was still almost crashing in to things as my emergency break squealed in protest 5 hours in to riding the bikes.
After wandering around the numerous antique stores near our hostel, we ended up back in our room, exhausted and with aching bums. An intense drinking game was played before we ended up in the hostel's bar. The bar was so cool and we always found new people to talk to and make friends with. Even though I was sad going to bed (I really didn't want to leave!) I couldn't help but me totally happy with how the day had turned out. Amsterdam is so much fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment