Pages

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Top Ten: Things You Should Take to University

Hey! This is the beginning of a few posts I have lined up, all dealing with going to University for the first time. Since I believe the best kind of advice is advice that comes from personal experience, I thought I would share the advice I've gathered with you here. Hopefully you will find these posts helpful!

I've started with a list of the ten things you should take to University. I ended up owning these ten things by the end of my first year and, at the risk of sounding dramatic, I couldn't imagine my life without them. My University life at least. I'm sure they will help you as much as they helped me!

1. Door wedge
I've decided to start this list with the most important item, simply because you might not make it till the end (I can't be sure I'm not boring to people other than my Mum and boyfriend).

If you don't own a door wedge, find a way to make one. They are so useful! They are one of the best ways to meet your new flatmates, especially if you're shy and don't want to go round introducing yourself. People will be able to come and talk to you and it will make you seem friendly. Who doesn't want to be friends with someone like that?!

2. Extra storage
One of the best things I took to University with me was something I bought entirely on a whim. I bought the plastic set of drawers from IKEA and I wasn't even sure I'd have room for them in my new room. Thankfully I did and they became one of the handiest things I had with me. I used the drawers to store all kinds of things from hats and scarfs to my wide selection of cold/flu medicines. I would highly recommend getting some kind of extra storage, even if it's just a plastic box. You'll be surprised at how useful they will be.

3. A Calendar
You will have so much going on over the next year, a good calendar is the best thing to ensure you don't forget anything. Including dates that are important back home! I used a planner for most things but without my calendar, I would have been truly lost. I suggest hanging it somewhere where it will be in full view from almost every angle in your room. It's hard to ignore something that is staring right at you!

4. Medicine
I feel like I should warn you that there is no cure for Freshers Flu. There are, however, a number of cold/flu remedies (including throat lozenges!) that will ease the hell. Stock up on cold/flu medicine. And throat lozenges. Paracetamol will also save your head from most hangover headaches.

I had a whole draw of my storage tower dedicated to all of my medicines (I had stomach medicine, my inhaler, plasters, cough medicines and I think I even had some bandages in there) and I can't tell you how handy that draw was throughout the year. It especially helped to have stuff my Mum had recommended when I was too far from home to have her look after me. It was like the cheat-draw to being ill away from home!

5. Bottle Opener
Even if you don't drink bottled drinks, having a bottle opener will make you an instant success if anyone ever needs one. I actually had one on my keys (that way I never went on a night out without an emergency "get to the alcohol" tool) and that meant I never lost it. You don't need to place such high importance on your own bottle opener if you get one though.

6. Posters, photos, a lava lamp...
Firstly, you should check what your University accommodation allows in to the rooms. Secondly, white tack is useless but it doesn't take paint with it when it comes off the wall. And thirdly, this tip is all about making your University room feel like home.

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying here, I don't mean you should take everything out of your "home bedroom" and shove it in your Uni room. For a start, there's no way your new bedroom will be big enough. Also, you'll be surprised by how much rubbish you will accumulate by the end of the year, you'll need a little extra space!

What I mean is take a few things that you love to give your new accommodation a homely feeling. I took some flowers, an ornament my boyfriend bought me, a couple of photo frames and enough photos to fill the wall next to my bed (also a ton of cushions given as presents). The result was that my new room felt like home the moment I finished unpacking the day I moved in. It's only something little but it makes settling in a lot easier.

7. Money Pot
This might sound like a random one but bear with me! I had two money pots last year. The first was a cute little tin pot that I only used for 50ps and pound coins. The second was made out of an old sweet jar, it was a little ugly and kept out of sight, and it held all change under 50p. My first little tin was money I saved for my trips to the laundrette and the second money jar was what I raided when I was desperately low on cash (oh the joys of being a student). You'll come to realise just how little money you can risk wasting and even saving the pennies can be helpful. You don't even need to buy a money pot, you can use anything, as long as it has a slot big enough for the coins!

8. Air Freshener
Trust me. This will come in useful. There will be weird smells and bad smells. Some from people, some from food and some as a result of a particularly hard night of drinking. Whatever the case, you will be thankful for anything that can make breathing a little bit more pleasant.

The empty bottles can also be filled with water and reused for water fights!

9. "Fire Alarm Clothes"
This isn't necessarily something you should take to University but it's something you should have while you're there.

If you're living in student accommodation, the one thing you can rely on to happen during the most inappropriate times is the fire alarm. We once had a fire alarm go off at 2am the morning I had a 9am lecture, 10 minutes after I had managed to fall asleep. The fire alarm doesn't care if you're showering, asleep, hungover, getting changed. It will screech through the halls and you will be expected to go outside (sometimes in the rain).

The only way I know to make this experience a little less horrible is to have an emergency set of "fire alarm clothes" close to the door to make sure you're never the person outside in a towel (or worse). The clothes should be easy to slip on (i.e. baggy trousers, a jumper, a dressing gown, a coat), you should have a pair of shoes close by and maybe something with a hood or an umbrella.

Please don't forget this is just so you don't get cold. Don't take these clothes too seriously and please don't ever put yourself at risk. It's better to be outside wearing nothing than inside and dead. 

10. Mini fridge
Once again, check what your University provides or allows in halls of residence. If there is no mention of banning mini fridges, go get one! Swansea provided us with mini fridges and it was honestly one of the best things ever. I used it to refrigerate all of the food//drink that I absolutely did not want stolen and it was right there whenever I wanted a late night drink or snack. Plus, I never had to worry about mouldy food with my own little fridge!

I hope this list helped! I'll finish with one final tip. When you're trying to decide what to pack or not, be brutal. You do not need every single thing you own. If you can't imagine saying it in a sentence, you shouldn't be taking it with you. A good example would be:

"Don't worry about an iPod for pre-drinks, I'll play our music on my bagpipes."

Some things are better left at home..

No comments:

Post a Comment