Pages

Monday, 9 September 2013

20 Things for 20 Years

If you know me in real life (or if you follow me on Twitter...) you will know that I am not taking turning 20 very well. I'm not sure whether it's the fact I won't be a teenager anymore, that I'll be "in my twenties" or that I have to be grown up soon but it's going down pretty badly. It might even be because I still have a 6-15 year old mentality where "20" sounds like someone infinitely more grown up than me. Whatever the reason, you can be assured that when I woke up this morning, my emotions were a mixture of "yay it's my birthday!" and "good god I'm 20".

To take the focus away from how horrifically old I am, I thought I'd celebrate my birthday on here by recounting bits of advice and wisdom I've gathered over my long long life. I thought 20 things for 20 years had a nice ring to it and despite a little trouble making the number (I didn't gather much during my first 7 years so it was a struggle okay?!) I finally wrote the list. I've filled it with all the things I would like to remember as I enter my twenties. Not just to help me age with grace (I think my 30th can be written off as a disaster already) but because I think these little pieces of knowledge will make me a better person.

So, while I enjoy spending the day with my Mum and the evening with all my favourites in Cardiff, you can enjoy these 20 things I've collected from 20 years.

1. You think travelling close to home, having days out and mini (local) adventures is just as important and fulfilling as travelling the world. Don't forget that. Finding importance in the small things is something you love about yourself.

2. Friendships don't have to last forever to mean something. If fact, "forever" isn't a necessity for something to be meaningful and important.

3. "You could be the ripest peach in the world and there will still be someone who hates peaches." - Dita Von Teese

4. You can't quite wrap your head around the idea of spending all day in a job you hate to pay for a home you don't spend enough time in because you're too busy working. You're not sure if this is motivating or if it will have any affect on your future but you think it's worth remembering.

5. If you wouldn't say it to/about someone else, you should not say it to yourself. Treat yourself with the same love and respect you would treat someone you love. You must take care of yourself.

6.  "The grass is greener where you water it." - Neil Barringham

7. As much as you hated being told off for your posture when you were 7, you wish you had listened. Keep working on keeping that back straight.

8. You don't need the internet and you don't want to spend as much time "connected" as you do. There's a real world out there and relationships need more than a text or an email. Don't get lost in the illusion of "social" media.

9. "A ship is safe in harbour but that's not what ships are for." - William Shedd

10. It scares you that you know more about the things made by humankind than the earth that humankind lives on. Work on changing that.

11. Never forget how much you love books. They are a part of who you are.

12. For someone to love something and to be brave enough to enjoy that love without fear of the opinions of other people is something you greatly admire. Do not fall in to the trap of judging someone for loving something. You do not like or respect the people who do that.

13. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself.

14. Never mock/criticise someone for trying to become a better person or for trying to change who they are. Never stand by and let anyone else do those things. The person who is trying has already shown they are a better person than those who try to bring them down.

15. Surround yourself with people that make you grow and laugh and who make you want to be a better person. There is no shame in realising that someone is not good for you.

16. "Stuff" isn't important. People and memories are. Remember that.

17. Feeling good and feeling healthy are so much more important than looking good.

18. A victory that is a victory to no one but you is a victory. Quiet pride is still pride. Don't be afraid to be proud of something you have achieved, even if no one else considers it an achievement.

19. There isn't one true definition of success. Find your own.

20. Never ever let anyone (including yourself) make you feel ashamed of who you are, what you think or what/who you like. You are you and that is something you should be infinitely proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment