Dear The Customer,
I know how frustrating it can be when something isn't working or something interferes with how you like things to happen. It can be annoying when a coffee machine is out of order for a long time, your favourite drink isn't stocked or prices are too high.
I also know you probably pride yourself on speaking your mind or being able to complain about something in the moment, rather than thinking about what you should have said hours later.
Surprised I know all that? I thought you might be. Believe it or not, I'm not actually a slave chained to my till, bound to serve your every whim. I have a life outside my work hours. I am even a Customer in stores I don't work in. I was even a Customer in the building you are in when you encounter me.
This means that I also experience frustration with the workings of a business. I have had to get refunds, send a wrong order back or deal with something I wanted being out of order or unavailable. I understand how annoying it can be.
"That's great but why are you telling me this?" you might be thinking.
Well, Customer, I'm telling you this because for some reason you think it's okay to not only hold me personally responsible for the mechanisms of a national company but to do so in a rude and unnecessary manner.
Prices are extortionate? Yeah, I know, I used to come here as a Customer before I worked here. Do I control the prices? No. Can I change the prices? No. Am I in a position to do anything other than listen to your complaint? No. Should you stop loudly complaining about the prices/blaming me/rudely telling me I'm "stealing from you"? Yes. Should you find a more constructive way to complain, perhaps to someone who isn't on minimum wage with no managerial powers? Yes.
I am not a mechanic, I cannot fix broken machines. I am not a manager, I cannot call mechanics to come and fix broken machines. No, I can not "do something about it" because once we've reported it, we've done all we can.
I appreciated how much it can suck when something puts a damper on your outing.
What I don't appreciate is you losing all of your manners and thinking your rudeness will do anything other than make me a little bit glad that you can't get what you want.
Yours sincerely,
An Employee
P.S. I apologise that my emotions have caused this letter to be rather badly written. I will, of course, let a manager know immediately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment