Pages

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Goodbye 2013...

Happy New Year everyone! Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb!

This post was actually supposed to be published on New Years Eve but thanks to my atrocious vlog-making-abilities (how McPake can do it I'll never know) and having zero space on my laptop, I've had to postpone and re-plan my end of year post. I was originally going to do a video all about it with a photo montage of my year and even some cool effects using a map and a red line. Alas, it was not to be. Instead, it's going to be the usual written post with the added excitement of a video photo montage. You can't say I don't spoil you!

I welcome 2014 in one of my closest friends' living room, shouting the countdown and celebrating my third midnight kiss with Anthony. We all wished each other a Happy New Year and I even managed to ring my parents to wish them, my sister and my grandparents a Happy New Year as well. Me and the boys sang the funniest rendition of Auld Lang Syne I've ever heard (picture very loud, drunken shouts in tune to the song) and I went to bed early New Years Day morning feeling hopeful for what the New Year has to offer.

No ushering in of another year would be complete without looking back on the old one though. I'm not one for saying "new year, new me" since I try my hardest to wake up every day and try and be the person that I want to be. I do however, think that sitting back and reflecting on the the year that's just ended, and thinking about what you want out of the next year is an important thing to do. Even if you have no idea what you want to do or who you want to be over the next 12 months, knowing you want to be happy gives you something to strive towards.

Looking back over 2013 was so much fun. Making that photo video reminded me just how much fun I've had over the last 12 months. The start of 2013 saw my second term of my first year of University and I can honestly say that that first year was the best time of my entire life. I had so much fun and made some of the greatest friends I've ever had.

I was also reminded of how lucky I was to be able to go to the places I've been to this year. Bath, Southern England, Christmas markets, London, mine and McPake's spontaneous trip to Amsterdam... It feels like so much more when I look back and remember all of the moments that made those trips special. Looking back at the time we all spent in Italy still takes my breath away a little. I still can't really wrap my head around the fact that I was lucky enough to be able to spend 2 weeks in Italy with 5 of my best friends. That holiday gave me one of my utmost favourite moments of 2013: lying in the sun with my best friends on top of a castle in the south of Italy. Life doesn't get much better than that.

One thing that I felt, especially while I was making the video, was that I think I lost my way a little bit in my second term of University. I think I was expecting second year to be exactly the same as first year and when it wasn't, I fell into a kind of funk that was difficult to get out of. I was so focused on how different second year was and I got so caught up in all the unnecessary drama that I didn't even realise I should have been focused on just having fun and enjoying second year for what it is, not what it isn't. That's something I hope I do for this second semester.

I think another thing I love about 2014 is that if I tried to do a similar post to the one I did at the end of 2012, I wouldn't even know where to start. This year has been so full of incredible moments and stories that there's too much to put in one blog post. Instead, I'll list my top 13 favourite blog posts and leave you with my silly little photo video. Enjoy!

1. 100 Memories of my First Semester (and part two here).
2. Change
3. Mastering Student Finance
4. 2013 Spring Clean
5. Italy 2013
6. Summer Ball
7. My University Room
8. How to: Write a Personal Statement
9. A Message to the Customer
10. 20 Things for 20 Years
11. A recurring thought
12. Cooking
13. Floor 5 does Christmas 


No comments:

Post a Comment