Pages

Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Gaps

There are a lot of things I know how to do thanks to going to school (obviously).

I have a good understanding of English grammar and can critically analyse and discuss literature.

I have fairly good maths skills and (with some reminding), I can do all kinds of things with Pythagorus theorem, angles, circles and algebra.

I have a very basic knowledge of Biology, Chemistry and Physics (I think even basic is being optimistic).

I can speak, write and understand Welsh fairly well and I have a basic knowledge of French, Spanish and Latin.

Then I have IT skills, Religious Education, Philosophy and Ethics, Drama, and Psychology (which I'm now doing a degree in).

I learnt almost everything I know from school and I will always be grateful that I am lucky enough to have had an education. Even now, while studying for a degree, I still stop and appreciate how lucky I am to have this chance denied to so many.

For all the information I have learnt over the last 16 years, there are things that the education system didn't explain to me. Huge gaps in my knowledge of the every day world that I wish they had taken the time to teach me, and others.

Before I had to learn because of necessity, I didn't know how to pay a bill or rent a house or what to look for in a housing contract.

I don't know how to buy a house or take out a mortgage or what to do if I have money troubles.

What I know about voting and politics and the way this country is run is through my own research, teaching myself as best I can (and my knowledge is embarrassingly less than it should be).

I didn't know just how dangerous processed food can be. Not just McDonalds but chicken dippers, ready made meals, pop and a lot of what I eat every day. I didn't understand how important fresh food is or that, more importantly than eating healthy or exercising, is to first love yourself for who you are. Taking care of yourself the way they tried to force on you in PE has to come from a place of self-love and that can only be achieved when you tell someone they are important and special, without telling them they need to change.

There are so many things that I wish I had been taught and that I wish were being taught to children today. Life skills that, for whatever reason, they may not get from anywhere else. All learning is important but some things shouldn't have to be learnt on your own, especially when the stakes are a lot higher than just getting a bad grade/report off your teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment