Pages

Monday, 20 January 2014

An Afternoon in Cardiff

I would be perfectly happy if my life was just afternoons in Cardiff like Friday's. I met Anna and Meryn in the bus station after running across Cardiff trying to make up for being so late. We left their bags in my car and went in search of coffee and food.

I walked them through the shops and people, pointing out places I love and why as we debated where we should stop. None of us could decide so each place was a maybe, we'll come back and see until we found Crumbs. The Swansea one is fantastic and that was recommendation enough to go in.

What ensued was a hilarious attempt of ordering on our part. None of us knew what we wanted, I needed to somehow spend more than £5 and a hungry queue of people was forming behind us. Once we'd paid and found a table, we all looked at our portions and realised that panic may have clouded our judgement. The food looked delicious, we'd just bought a lot of it.

It did slowly get eaten (and it was wonderful), in between catching up and conversations filled with excitement - planning has now become the main gem of our long conversations and it flavours it even if we're not talking about it. So many ideas and what ifs and maybes that I'm scared to write them down incase I stop them becoming a reality.

Once we had finished eating, we walked to the National Museum. We spent most of the afternoon looking at the varied collection of art housed by the Museum, enjoying the contradiction of being 20 years old - we were mature enough to be able to discuss the art but we are still young enough to be able to spend the majority of our time laughing.

Anna had to show the man who took our photo how to take pictures on an iPhone and Meryn and I ruined our plan of pretending to be Italian tourists by thanking him in our extremely British accents. We walked back to get their bags but got slightly sidetracked by Thornton's. I couldn't work out how to explain fudge to Anna so I bought some and had her try it instead. We each bought marshmallows in a wafer bowl covered in melted chocolate and Meryn, who didn't buy one, managed to get chocolate all over herself trying to help me when I had melted chocolate seeping through my broken wafer bowl.

I walked with them to the bus station and hugged them before they got on their bus. I walked back to my car, already missing them and wishing we could do it all again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment