Yesterday, I travelled down the middle of this quarry on a zip wire. Thanks to a strong headwind, I didn't fly through the air and I got stuck a little distance from the landing platform but I didn't even mind. There's actually no way to describe how amazing it felt to be surrounded by this unexpected beautiful place, floating through the air without a single crumb of fear.
I am glad that the guys who helped hook us to the zip wire were the ones who pushed us into motion because I doubt I would have been able to jump off. The zip wire starts from the little green platform you can see if you look really carefully in the top left hand corner of the top two pictures. The wire brings you all the way down the length of the quarry, with the landing platform nestled in to the rock out of sight in those two pictures. The last pictures shows you where we stopped, and you can the see wires we travelled along.
Anthony (being heavier and just generally more lucky than me) zoomed down the wire in seconds, while the wind meant that I slowly made my way down, appreciating the time to drink in the sights and wonder at how proud I was of myself for actually doing it. I did shout "Can you come and get me please?" when I finally stopped, away from the platform and hanging above the water. Even then I wasn't as afraid as I thought I would have been, instead I was just enjoying the sound of the water and how free I felt.
The guy came out and pulled me over to the platform, I was unhooked from my harness and just like that the adventure was over. We walked up to the car park to get the car and stopped to take some photos on our way out. We left and I took us on an hour long drive through the Forest of Dean, Monmouth and back home, trying to maintain the sense of adventure while full of the best kind of excitement and happiness.
I definitely want to go again.
Sunday, 19 January 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment