Pages

Monday, 29 July 2013

Paris 2012

I fell in love with Paris the moment I saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time. It was during a school trip to Paris in December 2009. I had been awake for the whole of the 7 hour journey. The sun had risen an hour or two before we arrived in the city and I was so sleep deprived I could barely concentrate. I can't remember the drive in to Paris but I do remember how I felt when I looked out of the coach window and saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time. It was a moment I don't think I'll ever forget.

I remember being so aware during the trip that this was the city that people have written about for hundreds of years. You could feel the history and the culture. I felt like I was part of a fairytale as we walked through the streets, surrounded by the music of the language.

Three years later and I was finally able to revisit the city that had stolen my heart. It wasn't a school trip this time but a trip with Anthony, to celebrate having survived a year together. We spent a long weekend together in the city and it was some of the best four days ever. Armed with disposable cameras, fresh pastries and a map, we set about exploring the city.

In anticipation of visiting Bath to celebrate surviving two years, I took out the photos we took on that weekend and had a look through them. Some of them are so great and I love them so much I thought I'd share them in this post. It was fun to see that although we'd changed so much over the year, the reason for the trip was still the same, unchanged fact.

And so, here are my ten favourite photos from our first just-the-two-of-us holiday together. Enjoy!

--------------------

1. We discovered the Paris Plages as we walked across one of the Seine's many bridges. I'd never seen a "pop up beach" before and I could not believe my eyes when I saw people lounging around in deck chairs, on the sand, in the middle of Paris. It was quite a cold day when I took this photo but on one sunny, hot day, there were families/couples there in bikinis and swimming costumes as well. It was like a little seaside getaway, without actually getting away. I loved it. 

2. I love this photo purely because of the story behind it. In December 2010, I went on a day trip to London with the school. We spent part of the day in the National History museum, wandering around and generally being silly. Anthony was there as well (I have no idea why since he wasn't even taking the subject that the trip was organised for) and he stole my camera and convinced me to let him take a photo of me. Since he was my best friend (this was a year and a half before we got together), I let him take one photo before demanding to see what he'd taken. It turned out he had managed to take a photo that made it look like I had horns. Since then I have visited 3 other National History museums in three different cities (Cardiff, New York and Paris) and have had a horned photo in each one. This was the 3rd one. :)

3. I love that I can say I've stood on a beach in Paris, right next to the Seine. How cool is that?!

4. The two of us plus the Eiffel Tower. Who wouldn't like this photo?

5. I'm not sure what I love more about this photo, whether it's that the whole Tower isn't in it, that it's at an angle, that I'm not sat properly because I'm writing, that I'm sat on a waterproof poncho I got at Alton Towers or that Anthony took it without being asked or prompted. 

6. A sneaky photo Anthony took of me right before we boarded our plane back to Cardiff. We found the fact our plane was not only tiny but had visible propellors so funny, I almost didn't register how scared I was. Also, I like the whole walking-to-the-plane more than I thought I would. 

7. This was the first photo we had together in Paris. The lady I asked to take the photo took it so seriously, she moved us around and knelt down to get as much of the Arc in as she could. She was so sweet. 

8. I didn't even know this photo existed. I haven't looked through our Paris photos in such a long time (since they're from a disposable camera, I don't have any digital copies of them. This is the first time they've appeared online). I took this in the airport while we waited for our flight. We'd just spent way too much on water and croissants and hadn't yet started to play cards. I just love how serious he looks! 

9. Our padlock (it has Ant + Clo on the front and 28/07/11 on the back) on one of the love-lock bridges in Paris. 

10. The only thing I said to Anthony that I definitely wanted during our holiday was a picture of me in front of the Notre Dame. I had one taken during my first visit but you could barely tell I was in front of the cathedral thanks to bad angles and restrictive teachers. We spent a couple of hours around the Notre Dame, we have a few photos of us outside it but I wanted a full length one of me with as much of the building in it as would fit. I gave Anthony the camera and he took the photo. I soon forgot about it until we got the four cameras developed. I looked through them but couldn't find the Notre Dame photo. I looked again and came upon this. Anthony obviously hadn't noticed his finger in front of the lens and so instead of a photo of me and the Notre Dame, I have a photo of Anthony and the Notre Dame. I laughed for a very long time at this photo, bless him, and it remains my favourite from that trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment