Pages

Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Gray Hill

I'm not sure how many people would consider walking to the top of an 896ft hill during a heat wave but apparently Anthony and I are two such people.
Gray Hill is a hill on the eastern side of Wentwood (apparently) and since it's only a 15 minute drive from where we live in to Wentwood, it was the perfect destination for an afternoon adventure.
See that mud path on that hill? That's how we reached the top
Armed with as much water as I was willing to carry, Anthony and I parked the car in a near-empty picnic spot and started on our journey.
It was about a mile and a half from the car to the top of the hill. The walk was easy until we stepped off the ordinary path and started the trek upwards. Regular stops for water and pictures was needed along the way.
The difficulty of the walk was made worth it by the fantastic views from the top. Unfortunately, the photographs I have can't do it justice. You could see both the Severn bridges and even the outskirts of Newport in the distance, with England looming just as far as the eye could see.
You can see the old Severn bridge on the left of this photo if you look super carefully
Anthony and I made this trek two years ago on the 28th July, the day before I left for America for a month. At the top of that hill, in considerably cooler weather than today, he asked me to be his girlfriend.
I feel very very lucky that I can still call myself that, in exactly the same place, two years later. He's my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment