Thursday, 6 March 2014
Russell Howard
I wish I had an exciting reason for why it's taken me a week to post about our trip to see Russell Howard but I don't. Instead, I have a 3,000 word report that made my life hell until I handed it in to the general office this morning. What made it even more stressful was we had our next report's lecture on Monday morning - right in the middle of me writing the one just before. I've got 5 pieces of work due in over the next few weeks, plus revision, Welsh and having a life. I think it's time I told you about Russell Howard before I go completely insane.
We arrived at our hotel to find out I was customer of the day (I stupidly thought that that meant we were the first customers of the day, even though it was 5pm and I'd literally been stood behind 2 other people checking in) which meant we were given a free room upgrade. Yay! We were upgraded to a Junior Suite room, meaning we had access to the Executive Bar and free breakfast and oh.my.god was it a good room. We had so much space (I ran around in little circles as soon as we got in) and even little steps leading up to the door. Aaaaah I felt like royalty.
Russell's show was really really funny as well. Anthony's more his fan than I am (I'm more of a Michael McIntyre/Rhod Gilbert kind of gal) but even I was crying with laughter at some point during the two hours. I think my favourite thing about Russell's comedy is that there's a touch of really-wants-to-appreciate-the-good-stuff in there. At the end he told us a story about how he had visited a young boy of 14 last year who had cancer and all about how he had become close to him. He finished the story by saying the boy had not only beaten the cancer - but also that he was there that night. What happened next almost made me cry. This little doot of a 14 year old came out on to stage and everyone stood up and started clapping. Russell lent down and said "See that? That's 5,000 people giving you a standing ovation. That's for you." And you could just see how much it meant to him. It was a really really great end to the gig.
Thursday started with the main reason we stay with the Thistle - the breakfast. Croissants, jam on toast, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, hash browns, beans, tea, orange juice, yoghurt... If I could have breakfast at that hotel every day (and somehow afford it) I would be perfectly happy. It's unbeatable!
Labels:
Life Lately
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment