Pages

Sunday, 23 March 2014

Family Visit

A couple of weekends ago, my family came down to Swansea to see me. There's nothing I love more than being able to show them where I live, spend my time and to explore the city with them. 

It's so funny to compare their visits now to when they first came up in my first year. Not only am I better at getting up in time to greet them (I managed to sleep through my alarm and their phone calls on their first ever visit and they were left driving around Swansea until I woke up and got back in touch with them!) but I also know Swansea a lot better than I did then. I'm learning where to take them for coffee or shopping or how to plan a day so that we always have something new to do or look at.

On this latest visit, we made the most of the glorious weather Wales was having by going for a walk. We followed the route I talk to University, through Brynmill and Singleton Park. My Mum (who live tweeted much of the day) couldn't believe the beauty of the parks. She kept repeating "I can't believe Britain is this beautiful!"

We made our way to the beach and it looked so nice, every one of us paused before we took pictures or continued walking. I always try to remember how lucky I am to live so close to the beach/the sea, especially since it has been my dream for as long as I can remember, but having my family here always reinforces that luck/feeling of gratitude. They can never quite believe something like that is right on my doorstep. 

We stopped for a Joe's ice cream (the best in Swansea! Although my Dad of course complained it wasn't Mr Whippy) before heading back to the car. We had some food in Frankie and Benny's where our favourite waiter was there to serve us again. His puns verge on cringey but he's just so funny you can't help but laugh! 

We dropped Anthony back at his house in time for him to watch the England v Wales match. The numpty discovered he'd lost his keys and even though Mum and I searched my room, they were no where to be found. I sent a text letting him know as we drove through the sunshine to the Mumbles. 

It's crazy to think this absolutely stunning place is only an hour and a half away from home and yet the first time any of us visited was my first open day at the University. We need to make up for all the lost time! 

Our final stop of the day was Forte's, a sweet little cafe tucked away at the side of the road. We ordered coffees and tea cakes and enjoyed a rest from the sun and the walking. It was such a pleasant little place and the man behind the counter was keeping two little old ladies updated with the rugby match (unfortunately). We left the cafe as it was slowly beginning to close and it was a sleepy car that drove back to my house. We hugged goodbyes and I waved the car off. 

It was such a fun day! I love family visits, I'm already planning the next one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment