Our stay in Invercargill was so hilariously rubbish, I don't know if I can properly convey the misery of our experience there through one simple blog post.
There were mornings that I would actually drive the car to a nearby car park, just so I could read my book in peace, away from the people who ran the hostel we were staying in. They were awful. Calling it a "hostel" actually does a disservice to all other hostels in the world. This place was a spare room in some guys house.
Our terrible accommodation could have been only a slight inconvenience, had the place we were in been interesting enough to distract us from it but... interesting Invercargill was not. Other than visiting the southern-most Starbucks in the world, and the southern-most place on mainland New Zealand, there really wasn't much for us to do.
It was 4* nights that could not have gone any slower.
*I actually had to double check that number because I remember it being so much longer...
*
One thing Invercargill did have in it's favour was the huge park just outside of the city centre. I can imagine in the summer weather (it rained/was grey and gloomy for our whole stay) the park could be really lovely. Especially when all of the flowers are more alive than they are dead.
(Walking through a park of dying flowers did nothing to improve the impression we were slowly building of the place).
We froze ourselves half to death wandering around that park, trying to prolong our time away from the "hostel".
You know, as terrible as this stay was, it was such a funny few days. Funny because we really couldn't believe how little fun we were having. Every time we bring it up now, we laugh and laugh and laugh.
A vibrantly dying flower that in no way represents this part of the trip, or our feelings of travelling in general.
Obviously, OBVIOUSLY we visited the Starbucks. The southern-most Starbucks in the world? I was not going to miss out on that.
(And considering we had zero other things to do, we really didn't have a reason not to go).
Look at us smiling as if we're not going to go and sit in McDonald's for two hours to avoid the horror that was our hostel.
Ridiculous.






No comments:
Post a Comment