My Mum bought me a pre-made pancake mix this year - you just had to add water and boom, you're pancake making ready! - which probably ended up being a really good thing because I can't imagine how much worse it could have gone if me and Tom had had to make our own mixture...
Everything started out just fine. We had a perfect pancake-shaped pancake in the frying pan and when it was ready to be flipped, Tom asked me if I could flip pancakes. Confidently, I told him that I could.
This was the first mistake.
What happened next remains one of my most impressive failures. Instead of flipping the pancake in to the air and then catching it with the frying pan, I flipped the pancake... right in to the bin about 2 meters away. There was a moment of shock before Tom and I burst out laughing. The poor mangled pancake lay on top of the rubbish and we had to hold ourselves up it was so funny.
Things just went from bad to worse from there.
I will say that I wasn't the only one who couldn't flip a pancake though! While none of his went in the bin, his flipping "skills" were more just the ability to fold the pancakes in half. Since they still weren't cooked properly, we ended up with a folded over pancake mush slowly burning on one side. When he tried to correct his mistake, it looked like he was making an omelette, or scrambled eggs (see above!).
Out of the five pancakes we made: one ended up in the bin, three were undercooked, and the only cooked one was burnt on one side. And on top of all of that, when Tom was pouring sugar on his pancake mush (pictured above) he accidentally ended up spilling about a cup full worth of sugar over it.
So all in all, it was both a complete failure of a pancake day and an evening that was filled with nothing but laughter (making the pancakes was a million times better than eating them).
So a half success I'd say! Hopefully next year will be better...

No comments:
Post a Comment