Pages

Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Life Lately


I could not be writing this in a more different setting than last time. I'm tucked up in bed drinking a cup of tea that was made for me as part of my breakfast in bed; and my electric blanket is keeping me warm while I enjoy the sight of a blue sky and the sounds of birds singing outside. I also have the sound of The Cyclist doing something loud with his bike upstairs (changing the wheels? Pumping the tyres? Trying to elope with it? Who knows) but we'll ignore that.

A lot of my life lately has consisted of long, stretching hours in the library. I've finished the first draft of half of my final year project, I'm about a two thirds of the way through my stats and... well, I'm starting to panic about the other 4 deadlines I have coming up. Life is fun when you're a third year University student.

Thaaaankfully I've had lots of fun moments breaking up my library visits. This semester - this year in general really - has been so enjoyable so far. I'm constantly doing something, having fun, laughing, feeling productive... Even if I've been so sleep deprived I had to self-diagnose myself with insomnia (which no one took seriously?!!?!?), it's felt good to fall in to bed exhausted at the end of every day. Today will probably be no different. I'm going to spend the morning looking at Masters courses (scary!), finishing my stats (even scarier), having lunch with The Cyclist, coffee with him and Merv, then yet another afternoon in the library. I wonder if I can book my own little booth; make it a home away from home type thing?

Before I do all that though, I'll fill you in on what's been happening around here since last time.

(1) Monday was Meryn's 21st and I really really hope she enjoyed it! Her birthday ended with me, her, Anna and Tom sat in Anna's car in the marina, singing happy birthday to her while she blew out the candles on her cake. Poor Tom accidentally revealed that there was a surprise cake, as well as the one Meryn's Mum had given her, and I think we all collectively failed at keeping the point of the trip a surprise but hey, that's why Meryn loves us.

(2) I took Tom racing again on Sunday. The weather was worlds better than last time. No rain, some wind, and even patches of blue sky! He completely lucked out with it really, about 10 minutes after he got in the car and got changed it began to lash down with hail and the wind was so bad the poor little KA was rocking from side to side!

(3) A vegetable stir fry Tom and I cooked sometime last week. We haven't quite figured out how much oil to put in or whether to add more or not but boy do we make a mean stir fry. I've brought back noodles and some soy sauce from home and so the stir fry we made a few days after that was out of this world. I went to the market with Meryn yesterday and we bought a whole load of veg so I'm really excited to see what me and Tom cook this next week. Yesterday Meryn and I made chicken cawl (Tom had his when he got back from cycling) and it was so good, especially with Tiger Bread. I'm going to be so sad when the weather is too warm to eat it!

(4) A picture of a quick coffee trip I had with Mum while I was home last week. She immediately text Tom to complain about the fact I wouldn't let her eat her food until I'd taken a photo. A conversation ensued with them both swapping stories of me making them wait to eat so I can capture the food. It's funny how they're both silent once they start eating what I've made!

(5) Meryn and I were treated on Friday to enchiladas à la Tom. They were delicious. It was a little too spicy for me (I didn't eat spice growing up and so I can barely handle a korma) but I put a dollop of my soy yoghurt on my plate and used that to counteract the heat. It worked and I'm so glad because that meal was good. 

(6) I absolutely love this picture! I can't decide if it's because we both look so happy, or if it's because you can tell just how drunk Meryn was by looking at her in it? Haha! Whatever it is, this is probably one of my favourite pictures of the two of us! It was taken in Spoons Monday night, where we went for food and drinks to celebrate her birthday. She had me laughing all night long, even through the moments that were more awkward than we thought they'd be (in fact, especially then!).

(7) Continuing the tradition of race selfies! I give my sister's car back to her tomorrow which will end the two and a half weeks of my having a car in Swansea. I'm not going to miss it too much (I've survived two years without one and I need to be forced to walk to Uni again!) but I am going to really miss being able to go and watch Tom race. It was actually a really fun way to spend a Sunday morning - early morning driving, packed lunches, freezing my feet off stood at the side of the track watching him race (35 + 45 minute races!), huddled in the car with Meryn and Anna trying to keep warm, packing and unpacking the car, and just mornings spent with him, doing something out of the house!

(8) Another picture from Meryn's birthday evening, and another one I absolutely love. I found this quote on tumblr just this morning: "Funny how your life improves when you surround yourself with positive, affirming, accepting, and non-judgemental people." and I can't begin to explain how completely true that is.

(9) Well this could probably do with a post of it's own but I'll keep it here until I have more pictures of the day. So on Saturday, I drove Meryn and myself to Margam Park so that we could join her family and do GoApe for her birthday. I feel like I should explain 2 things to you before I begin:

  1. I am afraid of falling from heights. This is an important distinction to a fear of heights (in my head anyway). I'm perfectly fine with heights, unless I am near the edge of a platform, looking down and not feeling perfectly incapable of falling or if I can in any way feel the pull of gravity. 
  2. GoApe is an outdoor activity that takes place at the top of trees. The description on the website involves phrases like 'swing through the trees', 'fly down our zip wires', 'high ropes'. NONE OF THESE THINGS SOUND LIKE THEY INVOLVE THE SAFETY OF THE GROUND. 
So of course, armed with those two pieces of knowledge I agreed to this day out and even made it look like I might remain calm and collected through the whole thing.

I didn't.

I think I told Meryn I hated her at least once a minute for the 3 hours that we were doing the course. I complained so much I actually asked Meryn to apologise to her family for me, especially as her brother was asked by their Mum to not go too far ahead just to make sure I was doing alright. I would just like to point at that at no point during that 'adventure' was I doing alright. I had to swing on what was referred to as a 'tarzan swing' into a giant net hanging between two trees and then pull myself up on to a platform. A GIANT NET HUNG BETWEEN TWO TREES. 

Let me just say that contrary to popular scientific belief, there is no way I descended form apes. I have never felt less comfortable in an environment in my entire life, and I am including the house I lived in last year (in fact, I'm including the house I live in this year as well). At one point I was crawling through three barrels hung next to each other to get from one tree to the next, like ????? What is up with that?! Just be normal and have walkways everyone. It could be an exciting tree top adventure or a gentle, easy, calm, safe, stroll amongst the trees. Preferably on the ground. Where I'm not responsible for my own safety, my harness or for trying to not cry as I walk along a log with nothing to hold on to. 

All of that aside, I actually really enjoyed myself (in retrospect). I was (and am) so so proud of myself for not only doing it but doing every part of it and finishing the whole thing. There was one point near the end when I just felt completely overwhelmed with it all. Clipping my safety lines on to the wire and walking around the tree to the next crossing, all the while being able to see the drop beneath me and not quite feeling far enough away from it just felt like too much to deal with. I got through it though (thank you so much to Meryn for helping me!) and made my way across. I'm so glad they gave us a certificate at the end of it, I have it stuck up pride of place on my wall and it's a really great thing to be able to see from my desk. Especially when I'm feeling overwhelmed from how much work I have to do. It's weird what inspires us, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment