Wellington was our last destination for the year. We arrived on a wet and windy Tuesday evening after 12 hours spent on 3 buses. We walked for an hour in the rain to reach the YHA hostel we were staying in that evening. We treated ourselves to a Domino's (the only thing that had got us through the journey) and fell into bed exhausted.
No rest for the weary though! We were up and walking again by 10am the next morning. Two very tiring hours later we arrived at the Airbnb apartment we had booked for Christmas and New Year. Arriving was a happy occasion for lots of reasons, but mainly because we knew we didn't have to carry any of our bags for another 11 nights!
We both instantly liked Wellington city, and the apartment we were staying in. We quickly fell into a pattern of routines that made leaving that much harder when it finally came around.
We left the apartment on a rainy Sunday evening, walking for about an hour in the miserable weather before reaching the hostel we had been in almost two weeks before.
We loved our time here. It was the perfect way to end our time on the North Island, and to mark the half way points of both of our trips (Tom leaves two weeks before I do). We can't wait to visit again on our way back through!
I could not have been more disappointed when I found out we were going the wrong way during our walk to the apartment. We had just dragged ourselves up a hill only to discover our mistake right at the top. I might be getting stronger/fitter but walking everywhere can be a right pain sometimes!
Mount Victoria Lookout gives you a spectacular 360 degree view of Wellington. It's a little windy up there but when the weather is clear, the wind isn't the only thing that will blow you away*.
We are all about things that are free to do but also awesome and this is high up on that list! Well worth the walk.
*I AM SO PROUD OF THAT.
Christmas Day Skype with my family! They had me laughing the whole time, and it's made me so much more excited for when I finally get to go home in April. I can't WAIT to see them all!!!!!!!
83 days to go!!!!!!
Speaking of free things that are cool, Tom and I spent one lazy afternoon wandering around the City Gallery Wellington. I love art galleries, even if my understanding of art is abysmal. I had a lot of fun listening to Tom talk to me about all the pieces though, and I caught this snap of him lost in a painting he liked.
We treated ourselves to our second NZ cinema experience: the new Star Wars film! Tom was a little disappointed but I enjoyed myself a lot more than I thought I would. I think maybe watching any of the other Star Wars films first would have helped but I didn't do too badly with my limited knowledge! It had me laughing out loud a lot AND there was a woman in it so it had me pretty much from the start.
Our present-opening snacks with all of our presents gathered under our tree! Christmas was weird this year. I wrote more about it here so this will just be a brief reminded that I am really good at laying out table snacks. I definitely learnt that Christmas is so much more about the people you're with than anything else.
Look who's finally joined Team Backpack! He has been stressing for weeks that having everything in his bike bag is going to cause it so much stress that it will fall apart and leave him totally screwed. After umming and ah'ing, he decided that he would buy himself one in the Boxing Day sales. I think this one was half price and it fits everything he wants in there which is great! He's also loving how much more convenient having everything in a backpack is.
I won't say that I'm always right and that ignoring my advice will lead to bad things but I did tell him a backpack would be a good idea before we came out here.........
Here is Tom doing something he absolutely loves (other than riding his bike of course): cooking. This guy cooks a mean spaghetti bolognese and has decided he wants one of his 2016 goals to be to improve his cooking. I'm so glad I get to keep him forever.








No comments:
Post a Comment