Pages

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Visits from the Boyfriend

In the spirit of catching up, I wanted to post about Tom's visit to mine over Easter. He cycled (60+ miles!) down to mine the week after I visited his and despite being apart for like, 3 days? it felt like a million years before I saw him again. Thaaaankfully he stayed for almost a full week so I had a lot of Tom-and-Cho time to make up for all that time apart (can you tell how bad I am at long-distance yet?).

We had sit down breakfasts of tea, apple juice and cereal every morning; complete with PJs and Tom's adorable bed hair. Mum joined us most days and it was such a nice way to start the day. Breakfast is a good start to the day for way more reasons than just the health benefit. I loved our sleepy, waking up conversations taking place at the table.

It was a pretty slow-paced week. We went for coffees, went shopping and I had the fun opportunity to show Tom all the places important to the story of me-growing-up. His reaction to the discovery that Tesco had a beauty section ("Tesco does waxing?!?") was so funny that my Mum cried with laughter, and laughs every time she tells the story. It was so funny seeing where I live through his definitely-a-farmer's eyes.

He fell in love with the roads around my home as well. Turns out I live in a very good place for cycling... Who knew? The only downside to that was him trying out the hill I've been complaining about for as long as he's known me and not only getting the second fastest time on it, but he claimed he didn't actually know it had finished when he cycled up it, like??? I had an asthma attack going up that thing and he didn't even know he'd defeated it??? Un.fair.

The big day trip of the week was to St Fagan's, the open air museum just outside Cardiff. Since a lot of the older style homes are like his own house (think wooden beams, solid furniture and roaring fires - aka perfection) the first half of the day was mainly for my benefit. I think he liked the row of houses that change with the decades, and I know he liked our little picnic with my sister and her boyfriend. We both also had a ridiculous amount of fun sat on a bench in the sunshine taking a million and one selfies. Not only did we turn into a couple of loved-up teenagers (kissing photos anyone?) but I realised that there is actually nothing better than going out with your best friend. Literally every moment with him is fun. It's amazing.

He cycled home on the Monday, leaving at the same time that I did to get the train down to Soph's for a few days. It sounds lame but I'm so glad we both left at the same time. I think I would have gone a bit stir-crazy if I'd stayed home and not had him there with me. He just sort of, fills the room y'know? He makes it better when he's around.

No comments:

Post a Comment