When your best friend needs you, you do whatever it takes to go see her... even if it involves 4+ hours of driving, 200 miles and losing one of the family cars (the least fun experience of the weekend). I only gave a day or so's notice before I left (sorry Mum!) and packed without knowing how long I would actually be staying for. It felt kind of exciting and for most of the journey there and back, I felt extremely lucky/glad that my life right now allows me to do things like this.. just drive off and see someone if and when they need me.
We spent our first night babysitting Sophie's cousins: two adorable little girls who love Frozen and were so cute that even I got involved in playing games. After putting them both to bed, we kicked back on the sofa and chose the perfect film for the evening: Never Back Down. I'm not sure how much of the film was actually watched (not that it matters, we've both seen it so many times we could probably act it out) but I do know that all topless scenes put a halt to whatever conversation we were having at the time.
Sleeping in the same bed (read: the comfiest bed either of us has ever slept in) made it feel like we were both teenagers again. We stayed up until the early hours of the morning talking about everything and anything; boys, life, work, the future... There was even freaky banging noises and haunted children to make it even more like a proper sleepover!
Sunday was very much a day devoted to watching films and doing nothing. After I managed to wake up (Sophie got up with the girls while I slept until the doorbell startled me in to a panicked half awake state), we made our way back to her's for lunch. Our afternoon was spent watching Need For Speed (love) and listening to great music in the attic - broken up of course by more ridiculous selfie taking. We went to the cinema in the evening, to be disappointed by the new Inbetweener's film. Thankfully, more hilarious conversation afterwards made up for the film but we were both a bit gutted.
We started Monday with coffee and tea and very sad faces because I had to travel back home. Sophie had work so I would be leaving at 1 and neither of us wanted the weekend to be over. We left the house early so that we could get a quick breakfast/lunch before I dropped Sophie off. I drove the two of us to the coast and after walking down a million steps (walking up them was hell on earth), we stopped off at a little side shop and Soph bought us both portions of chips. The rest of our time was spent walking along the beach, trying to ignore the fact I'd be leaving in an hour or so and trying not to get swept away by the wind. We made it back to the car and I dropped Soph off just in time for work, before starting the 2 hour journey back home (that took a lot longer than that thanks to the car breaking down).
It might have been for a shitty reason but a weekend with Sophie could never be a bad thing.. I had the best time with her, I wish we had the luxury of spending every weekend doing absolutely nothing together!





No comments:
Post a Comment