Our Good Friday began with breakfast in a little coffee shop just around the corner from Anna's apartment. Everyone had croissants with exciting fillings (cream! chocolate! lemon!) while I had a white chocolate biscuit. That sentence looks almost as ridiculous as my little biscuit did compared to everyone else's croissants. It's okay though, my cappuccino was the same size as everyone else's so my breakfast wasn't too laughable (I hope).
After our breakfast we decided to make the most of the sun by walking around the castle grounds. We even stopped and listened to some music while McPake chased after butterflies. (Sometimes I wonder if McPake comes across as our pet puppy or something - I always seem to say things like "chased after butterflies" or "led on the floor outside a University").
We had lunch a bit earlier than usual so that we would be able to watch the procession. Our lunch was a very varied mishmash of food, all totally delicious. Desert was strawberries with lemon juice. I was a bit unsure of this strange combination (I'm not exactly adventurous when it comes to food) but one bite showed that this was a fantastic partnership. It tasted like I was eating sweets rather than fruit.
We left to watch the procession at around 2pm. The streets were full of people, talking, waiting for the procession and eating ice cream. We found a space next to the Colossus of Barletta and settled down to watch. We moved further down the main road at one point and poor Meryn ended up right on the edge of the procession while she was trying to take pictures. I had McPake's camera but I only managed to get two usable shots since I was being majorly put off by the two little old Italian ladies behind me tutting.
The procession ended with prayers in a beautiful courtyard. When it was over, the boys went to the beach while Meryn, Anna and I walked to her uncle's ice cream shop with her family. If there's one thing better than free ice cream, it is free Italian ice cream. The three of us had a photo with our ice creams and if you look closely at my eyes, you can see the faint hint of panic that it as beginning to drip all over my hand. It also turns out that I absolutely suck at eating ice creams. I managed to get mine all over my hands and the floor. It was not my proudest moment.
The rest of the afternoon was spent at the apartment, relaxing before we went back out that evening. We would be watching the evening procession before meeting up with Anna's friends.
![]() |
| How To Eat Ice Cream with Sass by Meryn |
We were lucky to be able to watch both processions, the one that took place in the afternoon and the one that took place in the evening. It was very humbling to witness something so weighted with history. At one point during the evening procession, the crowd around us began to sing and hum a long to the song being sung by the clergymen. It was an eerily beautiful moment.


No comments:
Post a Comment