My 22nd birthday technically started at 4:15am, when the hotel fire alarm dragged me and Tom out of our sleep, and our bed, and marched our exhausted feet down the fire exit and out the front door. We'd luckily thought to dress warmly so standing out in the cold was only offensive to our poor tired eyes, who longed to be back asleep.
For some reason, on our way out of the room, Tom picked up one of our water bottles from the day before and brought it with him. At the time I didn't even give it a second thought but now I'm wondering if his sleep addled mind thought we'd be able to use it to fight the fire that may have crossed our path? He "claims" it was for drinking but the bottle spent the entire time in the front pocket of his hoody so....
We were let back in just after 5am which was lucky really, as Tom was starting to consider fighting his way back into the hotel just so he could get back into bed. We eventually did make it back inside (peacefully) and we gratefully fell back asleep.
When we woke up properly a few hours later, obviously the first thing Tom did was to play Taylor Swift's 22 (after sweetly singing happy birthday to me a very sleepy voice). I want to say we danced to it in bed but it was more me enthusiastically throwing out some of my best in-bed-dance-moves and Tom trying not to get punched in the face.
By the time I was showered and ready to check out, I was already loving being 22.
The happiness continued with a breakfast in Starbucks. A vanilla soya latte and fruit bread set me up for the train journey home and kept up my energy levels for all of the excitement of being a 22 year old (excitement that was not shared by a very tired Tom).
My afternoon was perfectly relaxed. Tom needed his haircut after the Barbers disaster a few days before so I took us into Caldicot to get that done. The rest of the afternoon was just spent pottering around, enjoying the slow pace and picking my outfit for our meal that evening.
We picked up Mum from work, got ready to go out, quickly FaceTime'd with my Aunty and Uncle, and then we were off. Time for my birthday meal! Dad couldn't get the evening off work and Lottie and Rhodri were in Carmarthen so it was just a party of 3 that evening.
You know you're in good company when a table of 3 leaves you more than happy and loved.
I chose the same restaurant we ate in after my graduation. The last time we went, I asked for "no chillies" in my pasta dish and the poor waitress misheard that as "extra chillies." As someone who really doesn't like spicy/hot food, I was a little bit stuck. I ended up having to eat my food with a lot of my Dad's food, just to try and mask the heat. I was determined to order better this time round!
We shared starters of mushrooms in garlic sauce (amazing) and I managed to order my main without any misunderstandings. I actually managed to eat this dish! It was a really lovely meal, and a really really lovely way to spend celebrate.
I was surprised at how much fun a low-key birthday was. No nights out, no unnecessary stressing about who was going to be there or whatever, no plans I wasn't really excited about. Just the (some) of the people I love most, and a whole lot of doing whatever makes me happy.
Here's to being 22!






No comments:
Post a Comment