We spent our last two days in Italy in a place Anna refers to as "Farm Land": a 'town' nestled in Italian mountains half way between Barletta and Rome. The town is tiny, definitely smaller than the village I actually live in but it's so pretty and has fantastic views. This isn't a photo of the village we stayed in, this is the next village across where Anna's sister and three cousins have houses (they don't live in them yet). It was so quaint and quiet and I swear if I could, I would move in to Domenica's house tomorrow it was so pretty.
There were little villages (or towns) scattered all along the mountains. We drove from the one with Domenica's house to a similar sized one just a bit further on. Anna had family who lived there so we walked through the main street to their pharmacy to visit them.
Driving to and from the different places (and driving to and from the area) was amazing. The views were just incredible. I've never seen mountains that big before, with their tops lost in the clouds, and my face was smushed against the window for a lot of the journey as I tried to see everything all at once.
I would like to pretend that this picture was taken because I am amazing at photography and caught something great on camera rather than my attempt at taking a photo of Tom about to chuck his chewing gum in to the river.
As we were walking through one of the villages (I forget which one, I'm terrible at this) we came across 3 or 4 kittens sitting on a bench. I was strictly told not to touch the kittens - Tom claims this is because they might have diseases but I think it is because the whole world is determined to not let me lead a happy life that involves cats. I was dragged away from them in the end (they were drinking water out of the fountain and it was SO CUTE) but they followed us anyway. There was one who kept following us for almost all of the time we were walking through those little side streets and I was heartbroken when we had to leave it behind. They were adorable!
In case you were wondering, I have in fact sat on a plastic white chair on the pavement next to the road while a little Italian lady told me I was pretty and worried none of us were eating. We have had a cafe send a waiter to the bottom of the hill to take our drinks orders only to bring back our drinks and a small tray of snacks as well. The little old lady did take the packet of crisps I ordered, open them, eat a few then offer them out to everyone else and I was more than fine with it. We were joined by another little old lady (I want whatever Italians have that makes them able to travel to America at 89) who was just as fantastic. I did cry with laughter with Tom at the image of the two of us racing scooters when we're old and it felt so good to laugh until I couldn't breath. So yeah, in case you were wondering, there wasn't a single bad moment from my Saturday evening.




No comments:
Post a Comment