Pages

Sunday, 3 July 2016

The 9 to 5 Lifestyle

This week saw me finally entering the 9 to 5 life after about 4 years of putting it off. First University, then New Zealand, and now there are no more excuses, no more hidden parts to my bank balance, and I have three "weekday alarms" set up on my phone.

I spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday "shadowing" the role I will be doing and meeting all of the people I will be working with from now on. This isn't usual practice but something my new boss thought might be helpful and boy was she right. Tomorrow is the start of my training week and I feel so much more prepared than I might have done otherwise.

The funny thing about this job is it is the complete opposite of what I thought I would be doing 1 year on from graduating. Other than previously working in customer service, I've never done anything like this before.

The idea of a week's training when I had no idea what I was training towards felt terrifying. I hold myself to a very high standard when I work on something and there's nothing I hate more than feeling unprepared. My nerves were only getting bigger the closer the date loomed on my calendar.

Then my three days of shadowing was confirmed and wow, did they make a difference. I mean, I'm still nervous (meeting new people, new environment, what if I say something wrong????) but instead of being one big ball of fear, it's become nerves mixed with excitement.

I know what the job looks like now and so I have a frame to fit my training into. It has done wonders for my confidence. It feels like I can really do this, and that I might actually be really good at it.

It's a really exciting feeling to have. After all of the confusion of applying for jobs, trying to figure everything out, I've got a job that isn't really connected to any of my plans but seems to be perfect for me at this moment in time.

It really does feel like I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. Something I'll be good at doing.

It's exciting*!

(*The alarms aren't. My love of sleep is taking a real hit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment