I think as this publishes, I will be in bed in L.A., less than a day away from my flight back to the U.K. I am due to land at 25 past 11 on Friday morning. Sitting here in the Auckland Central Library as I write this, that sentence still doesn’t feel real.
I have had 6 months of seeing big things. Of a new thing every day, something spectacular or scary or humbling.
6 months of my breath never quite returning to my body.
We have done so much and seen so much that I forget sometimes, just how much. I’ve found myself suddenly remembering an afternoon as I look through photos or talk with another traveller.
6 months of seeing the big things, but I think I’m ready for the little things now.
I’m ready for sleepy good mornings on pillows that lie right next to each other, and not across the room.
I’m ready for conversations with my parents at any time of the day, no planning or computer screens or distance in the way.
I’m ready for visits to Soph that are simple in that they are often and don't rely on wi-fi connections.
I’m ready for walks to the shop, walking barefoot, soaks in the bath, quiet, the feeling of being home.
6 months is a long time to be away from home and a long time to spend in complete awe of the big things around you.
I’m ready to be in awe of the little things that make up everyday.
See you on the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment