Pages

Thursday, 31 March 2016

Living in Nelson: Part 2 (Caffeine Edition)

I did a lot of research on New Zealand before we came out here. I was wading through web page after web page of "Must Sees" and "Must Dos"when I came across a page on one titled "Coffee."

You would be wrong if you didn't think this was the only thing on that particular website that I read.

My excitement grew as I read about the coffee culture in New Zealand. "Coffee is a big deal here" was the impression I was being given, and I couldn't help but shout "YES" in my head as I read. Coffee is my weakness and I was so excited to learn that it would be a big feature of my six months here.

It only got better when I arrived and discovered that everywhere serves soy milk. I have to pay 50 cents each time but I don't care, it's just so good to have it offered on a menu in a local cafe. I don't have to rely on big chains for my coffee fix here, I can just go into any local and have a latte there.

Nelson has been no different. In fact, it seems to be absolutely full to bursting with coffee shops. On every street that you walk down, you will see at least one cafe before you reach the end. I couldn't be more gutted that I didn't have enough money while I was here to sample every single one. But I did manage to visit a few, and each one was as lovely as the other. Filled with personality and good coffee, Nelson has been a coffee lovers' dream.

Untitled

My drink of choice is a latte, but I will dabble with flat whites (usually when the price makes a difference). This particular drink was from the East St Vegetarian Bar and Cafe, the location of Anthony and Caroline's goodbye lunch. It was such a cool place, I couldn't believe I didn't take my phone. I was dying to take photos. There were so many things to look at, I couldn't decide what to look at first. I think the only time I looked down was to be able to pick my glass up to drink.

Untitled

7010 was the first coffee shop I visited in Nelson. It was the first 'girls afternoon' I had had in months, so I was already in a good mood before I saw how pretty it was inside. With white walls and bursts of colour, the coffee shop felt sleek and modern and was the perfect backdrop for an afternoon of conversation and laughter.

Untitled

My most visited cafe: Cafe Affair. Despite forgetting my drink almost every time I visited, I always enjoyed my coffee (when it arrived). It was creamy and rich and I loved the little chocolate animal that was served with it.

Untitled

When Tom and I stumbled on the Tree Children, I couldn't believe it was a real place. It was like stepping into a cafe in Hobbiton, or something equally as magical. Everything on the menu was organic, dairy-free, and vegan. They had coffees, teas, lemonades, sweet treats... The only thing more varied than the menu was the gorgeous collection of tea pots, cups, mugs, and saucers that everything was served in.

I wasn't a huge fan of the coffee, and flavoured tea isn't really my thing, so the main draw of this place was the company and the novelty of what it looks like. Because I mean, come on, that little hut with the green door was the toilet and you're wrong if you don't think I want to spend time in a place that has things like that in it.

Untitled

Pomeroy's is a hidden gem of a coffee shop at the opposite end of the car park the YHA I worked in backs on to. It is full to the brim with coffee and tea paraphernalia, with shelves upon shelves of pots, cups, and tins full of beans or leaves. The walls are covered with posters or frames and there was so much colour everywhere, it was just so aesthetically pleasing to be inside. We didn't get there in enough time to sit in, so our coffees were takeaways enjoyed on the sofa in the hostel - the key word here being enjoyed because much like they know how to do interior design, Pomeroy's know how to do coffee.

Untitled
The last coffee shop I visited in Nelson was on my very last day in the city. It was a bright and cosy cafe on the street behind the hostel. 9 of us poured through the door and pulled up extra chairs at the biggest table. My coffee was creamy and smooth and one of the best I've had since being here. It was made even better by the company and was the perfect end to my time here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment