Would it make sense if I said that this year has felt like the first real, grown up year of my life? That it was nitty and gritty and hard and fun and scary and hilarious and sad and exhilarating and frustrating, and so many other words that can only describe the moments that made up the year, and not the year itself. Because so much happened this year. So much changed. I don't know if I'm far enough away from all of it just yet to know quite what it all means, but I know that if I had to do this year all over again, there isn't one thing I would change. There's just a lot I want to learn from.
It would be wrong to write a post about 2015 and not talk about how bloody difficult parts of this year were. The year started with a decision that absolutely terrified me, and that took a truck load of courage to act on. Friendships ended. Some were easy to let go of, and it was easy to see that it was for the better. Others were so much harder, and it is a lot more difficult to acknowledge that those needed to end as well. Third year was the hardest and most stressful year of my academic life so far. In fact, I'd say it was probably the most stressful year of my life full stop.
It was all worth it though. This year has had some of the happiest moments I've ever experienced. The stress and tears of third year led to my graduation, and the proudest moment of my life so far. Walking across that stage knowing my parents were watching me, and knowing I was graduating with a first class honours.... There are no words for that feeling. Or for the feeling of knowing my parents, sister, Soph, Tom... everyone I love was proud of me. It was an indescribably special moment of this year.
Then of course, 3 months ago, there was the day I stepped on a plane and left the UK. All to spend 6 months on the opposite side of the world, travelling across the two islands that make up New Zealand. The scariest decision I have ever made and one that has given me 3 of the most fun, and most difficult, months.....with 3 more still to go.
Oh, just so much has happened this year! And of course, it wouldn't be a round-up post without the traditional list of as many things as I could remember (see: 2014, 2013, 2012) so here goes:
- I rang in the New Year in Dublin, probably cementing Soph's hatred of NYE forever. That's something I am really upset about because the whole point of the trip was to let her have fun for once that evening. (I'm hoping NYE 2015 is better for you Soph! And if not, don't worry because NEXT YEAR.) Despite that, I did enjoy our little trip to Dublin. Ireland is a really special place for me and Soph, and it was pretty cool having a faded Kodaline in the background as we cheered in 2015.
- I visited Kraków with Meryn in January. My first visit to Poland and one of the first places I've been to that was unfamiliar to anything I'd experienced before. Visiting Auschwitz was harrowing but important. This trip to the country was the first of many more I hope!
- I went to more lectures in one day after the SuperBowl than I did in the whole of my first semester of third year. Getting in at 5:30am, getting up at 7:30am, and spending 9 - 3 in Uni wasn't ideal after the night before but it was fun to see how weirdly productive I can be hungover with 2 hours of sleep! (Plus the SuperBowl was one of my favourite Uni traditions and that night was no exception).
- This year was filled with days spent watching Tom race. I might joke about it, but I really do love watching his cycling races. Even if I'm stood freezing on the side of the track, too afraid to call out when I'm on my own (it takes about 6 laps on average before I will). Or sat in the car hiding from the rain and wind, winding down my window to call out when I catch the peloton race around the corner. Our race selfies taken after each race, and the negotiations that came with having the car so I could go along too. Then the summer, when Wednesday evenings were race days/exchange days and one of my journeys was always in the car with just the radio for company. I loved all those days/evenings, and I'm looking forward to them being in next year's round up too.
- I demonstrated my skills as a pancake flipper, and marginally won the title of the best pancake cooker in a very hilarious evening in the kitchen with Tom on pancake day.
- I complained the WHOLE time but I had immense fun doing GoApe with Meryn and her family for her birthday. Conquering my fears became a strong theme for this year!
- I tried to pay Meryn back booking her a spot on the zip wire for her birthday. This backfired on me though as I was the only one of us who was scared. Meryn could have spent her whole morning dangling up on that wire!
- Me and Tom became a couple in March and I have been floating on cloud nine ever since. The last 9 months have honestly been the most fun I've ever had, and I am so lucky and so excited to be finishing this year and starting the next one with him.
- We just about caught the eclipse this March but Tom was thoroughly unimpressed, and questioned which floating space ball was actually moving in front of the other. He was deeply skeptical of the whole ordeal.
- Tom and I went a whole week without eating meat and found it a lot easier than we thought we would! Our eating habits, and how we want to change them, have actually been regular topics in our conversations this year and we both really enjoyed this first real experiment into changing how we eat.
- A huge, HUGE portion of the first half of this year was spent in the library. My twitter was filled with me talking about how I was rotting away in the depths of the library (if you don't tweet about going to the library, did you really go?) and walking through Singleton Park, all that green, was like elixir for my eyes on more than one occasion.
- I discovered a love for my Work Psychology module and was so pleased to see that love manifest in a mark of 80 for the module overall. I was so proud of the presentation I gave for that subject. As someone who really struggles with public speaking, receiving a mark of 80 was such a huge confidence boost.
- Meryn and I went to see a live stream of the Royal Ballet and it was a mistake on so many levels. If we weren't disturbing people by crying with laughter at the bird man that appeared, I was accidentally throwing my maltesers at the poor man next to me.
- I successfully conducted and wrote a 7,000 word final year project. It almost killed me and I could have cried when I found out that I had achieved a 74. Hard work really does pay off!
- I held my first lamb in April and will probably be happy forever because of it.
- Lived out a childhood dream I didn't even know I had when I went to see McBusted with Charlie! Dancing around like a teenager was the most fun.
- Visited Soph in Poole and my heart broke a little bit more when I had to leave. I still can't believe that I LEFT THE UK when she was finally close enough to visit more than once every few months. But this little sunny weekend we had together was as much fun as we always have when we are together. We even discovered that we can make good embers. Talented people over here!
- We had our last ever Varsity as Swansea University students. It was held in Swansea which was a bit of a shame but it was once again my favourite day of the social student calendar.
- My Mum booked me an Italian cooking class as a Christmas present. It was really nerve-wracking going on my own but I really enjoyed myself, and I learnt a lot. It was a really unique present, and one I'm really excited to buy myself more of in the future!
- I spent most of May revising for my last lot of University exams. Days and days spent sat on Tom's bed, with either David Attenborough's soothing voice speaking out from the TV, or the sounds of a very excited commentator commenting on a cycling race broadcast from the hills of Italy. It was the first time I had sat down and properly revised for a long period of time, and it was long overdue. (I was still spending loads of time in the library as well - it slowly became my third home).
- Tom's 21st was the first birthday the two of us shared together, and I was definitely the most excited of the two of us. I couldn't wait for the day to arrive and I was bouncing off the walls the whole time. My mission is to make Tom love birthdays as much as I do, and I think I made a pretty good start this year!
- Meryn and I also successfully pulled off a surprise birthday party for Tom and Anna. A pretty impressive feat if you ask me.
- Three years of BSc Psychology came to an end this year and I still can't decide if I was more relieved or sad at that fact. As much as I had hated my degree, I loved it at the same time. Plus my degree coming to an end meant no more lectures with Leigh, no more texting her to say I wouldn't be coming in that day. My degree gave me my friendship with Leigh and I love her, so I will always be grateful for that!
- The end of our degrees meant the last day me, Tom, Meryn, and Anna would be together as a 4. I know it didn't mean the end of our friendship but it was the end of all four of us being in one place. Considering that right now me and Tom are in Wellington, NZ; Meryn is in Hastings, NZ; and Anna is in Madrid, Spain.... Our last day together was spent exploring Rhossili and ended with drinks in a new bar in Uplands. I can't wait to see where we all are the next time we're all together.
- It was my last Summer Ball in Swansea this year and it was completely different to the previous 2 but was still a day I enjoyed immensely. Plus this was the closest Meryn and I ever came to going out after the event, and that is a huge achievement!
- Team Taylor went to London this summer, stayed in an apartment with a balcony, accidentally witness Pride in London, AND saw Taylor Swift in Hyde Park. I am incredibly lucky to call Sophie and Meryn my friends and this weekend was one hell of a good time!
- I moved out of my last (undergraduate) student house, and left Swansea. I had the most fun there over the last 3 years. As sad as it was to end that chapter of my life, I was (and am) so excited for what comes next.
- I've been a very proud sister this year, as I've watched my sister pass her first year of University and continue achieving amazing results in her second year as well. It's so strange seeing her all grown up but I love it and I love her and I'm really looking forward to seeing what she achieves in this coming year as well.
- We had what may as well be called our annual family trip to the Harry Potter Studios in Levesdon for my Dad's birthday/father's day present. It's pretty great having a Dad who's as big a Harry Potter fan as you are.
- I graduated from University and was utterly blown away by the love and praise I received from my friends and family. Graduating with a first was the icing on top of a perfect cake, and this remains one of the proudest days of my life.
- We managed to fit in a Match Day this year which was great because going to see the rugby (and drinking way too much cider) with Soph is one of my most favourite traditions, and one I am really, really excited to repeat in 2016.
- I went on my first family holiday with Tom's family this year. We stayed in Taunton, and I really enjoyed the whole week!
- I was super proud of my Mum for landing herself a job she is not only incredibly good at, but one that she is appreciated in and seems to really enjoy doing everyday.
- It took him almost 6 months but Tom finally convinced me to buy a bike. Was anyone surprised though? Really?
- I spent a really sweet afternoon in Brecon with Leigh. I even had my first dairy-free ice cream from an ice cream shop which was delicious! Most of all though, I spent some much needed quality time with someone I have missed since we left Swansea, and who I am really excited to visit in Bath once I'm home.
- It took me three years but this year I finally visited Bryony in Chester. We visited a coffee shop called Central Perk (dream come true) and spent an afternoon walking around the incredibly big Chester Zoo, and I went home with tired feet and next to no voice: signs of time well spent.
- I turned 22 this year, and I have to say I think I handled ageing much better than previous years. The day started with a 4am fire alarm, dancing to Taylor Swift in bed, and a Starbucks coffee. I spent it with Tom and my Mum, eating my favourite cuisine (Italian) and feeling incredibly loved by everyone in my life. It was the kind of day that left me knowing 22 was going to be a good year for me.
- Tom and I returned to my favourite country on earth to visit his Grandad. No time in Italy is ever enough time for me but I loved the week we spent there this time round. I've never been to the north before and thought it was beautiful. I was in heaven the whole time.
- I had a huge burst of friend-pride seeing Soph start her University degree this September. This is something that I know she is going to absolutely excel at. I could not be prouder of her for doing this, and I'm so excited to see where it takes her in the future.
- Lottie moved into her new student house, and has been smashing second year ever since. She is doing so well in her degree and it's so thrilling to see because this is so perfect for her!
- I got on a plane to New Zealand and have been spending the last 3 months of this year travelling around the North Island. It has been equal parts terrifying and exhilarating and challenging, and I have no idea where I found the courage to do it but I'm really bloody glad I did.
- Our flights out here were delayed by 24 hours, meaning our connecting flight was delayed by 24 hours as well. That gave us a brief glimpse into the world that is Manila, and showed us that there is so so much beyond what we've grown up with.
- We spent 2 jet-lagged days in Melbourne. My first visit to Australia! I came down with what can only be described as the plague, and Tom got attacked by a bird. We should probably revisit.
- We landed in Auckland at the beginning of October and it wasn't the best few days. We might have been running to the bus because we were cutting it horrendously fine, but I think we would have run that fast just to leave.
- Paihia introduced us to the "real" New Zealand and let us all breathe a sigh of relief. This was what we had come all this way for. We also visited Cape Reinga, the northwestern-most point of New Zealand!
- From Paihia we made our way to the dreary sights of Hamilton. A great place for Tom to cycle, and the perfect opportunity for me to actually catch up on my life/sleep, but again - the three of us were glad to leave.
- Our first encounter of kindness we'll never forget came with our visit to Tom's cousin and his wife. They fed us the first bit of good food we had had on our trip, and let us stay in their beach house in Whangamata for a few days. They even drove us to Hot Water Beach, just so we could have the chance to see it before we carried on.
- Rotorua came next. This place STINKS of sulphur but I really enjoyed it here. We liked the hostel, I liked the surrounding area, and yeah, I liked it.
- HOBBITON. WE WENT TO HOBBITON AND WE SAW HOBBIT HOLES BUT NOT JUST ANY HOLE, WE SAW BILBO'S HOBBIT HOLE AND THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE DAY I WENT TO HEAVEN.
- Our first month in the country ended in Whakatane, with our first WWOOFing experience. I went on a speed boat! And tried mussels! It wasn't our best week here but the people were kind. We learnt a lot, experienced a lot, and were more than happy to get on that bus one week later.
- These next 10 days were the first time the 3 of us divided during travel. Tom and I went to Gisborne and discovered our favourite city in New Zealand so far. We hired a tandem bike, were some of the first people in the world to watch the sun rise, watched the sun set on the same day, and met some truly lovely people in our hostel. A heartwarming little trip.
- I got the bus on Taupo alone but met Meryn in the hostel the next day. My first solo bus journey/hostel room was scary but felt empowering. Plus I fell in love with Taupo. That huge expanse of water was just gorgeous.
- When Tom joined me, we took on the challenge of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. A 20km hike involving active volcanoes.... If you had asked me if I could have done this this time last year, I would have firmly said no. It was tough and painful but I did it. And just wow. It was breathtaking.
- Soph celebrated her Taylor Swift in between all of this and my heart ached to go home and celebrate with her.
- The three of us met up again in Hastings, ready to take on our next WWOOFing challenge. Two weeks on a fruit and veg farm, working the local market on a Sunday morning as well. I swear the strawberry picking almost finished me off. My legs!! It was a lot of fun though, with some really great people. I think my legs were very happy to leave when we did though.
- Meryn stayed on the farm while Tom and I went back to Gisborne. We spent the next 3 weeks staying with a family he met through cycling. I was, and am, speechless at how generous and kind they were to us. This was a completely unique experience and I'm so grateful for everything they did for us.
- They even took us to their "bach" in Whanarau Bay on the East Cape. A traditional New Zealand holiday home in what can only be described as paradise.
- We are finishing up our time on the North Island by spending Christmas and New Year in a little flat just outside of Wellington city. It is the cosiest little home and we have both fallen in love with the city.
- This year was the first year I have Christmas spent abroad/without my parents. It was strange and I'm not sure I liked it too much, but we cooked an insanely good roast dinner and I got to spend it with the man I love in an incredibly beautiful country knowing I am loved and missed by my family and friends at home so really, I am grateful for how lucky I am for that.
- This year also ended with the FANTASTIC news that I have been accepted for the masters course I have applied for. I begin studying for my MSc in Occupation Psychology at UWE in September and I couldn't be more excited!!
My New Year's Resolution this year was to be braver. To act with courage, follow my heart, my instincts, and to be brave everyday.
Sitting here on the opposite side of the world, facing 3 more months here before I come home and begin studying for a Masters, I feel confident saying that I did a really good job of living with that resolution in mind.
I'm really proud of 2015 me.
And I'm really excited to see what 2016 has in store for me. Bring it on!
No comments:
Post a Comment