Our last day in Paihia had arrived!
All four of us was feeling the effects of the walk from the day before, and Finn's arms were dead from kayaking, so nobody was in the mood to do much more than spend time together enjoying the burst of sunny weather.
We all said a sleepy goodbye to Emily before she left for her bus, and then it was a slow morning of getting up, showering and making our way to the kitchen for breakfast.
Because she is mental, and would explode if made to sit still for a day, Meryn decided playing tennis would be a good idea.
Fearing it would force us to be more active than we wanted, Finn and I paired up to play (being the laziest of the 4), while Tom and Meryn played against a couple of boys Meryn had made friends with the previous day.
Fearing it would force us to be more active than we wanted, Finn and I paired up to play (being the laziest of the 4), while Tom and Meryn played against a couple of boys Meryn had made friends with the previous day.
Finn and I then proceeded to play the laziest game of tennis I’ve ever seen. Zero effort was put in by either of us and it made it so much more fun, especially when we compared it to how intense the game of tennis next to us was.
When everyone else had called defeat and was sat enjoying the sun on the side of the court, Tom and Finn declared a best out of 3 competition.
If you’ve ever seen Tom play Wii Tennis, you’ll know how involved in the game he was getting.
If you haven’t seen Tom play Wii Tennis, picture someone who has no real idea of the rules of tennis getting really really intensely into the game, while announcing how sweaty he was getting to everyone in earshot (obviously a marker for how enthusiastically he was playing).
The game quickly became best out of 5 because they were both getting steadily more competitive. I was acting as umpire but really I was just remembering the score. I had no idea if a shot was in or not (I don’t really know the rules either) so I was just acting like a human score board.
After a victory for Tom, the group dispersed for showers, food, and a very long rest (that last one was me - watching the boys play had tired me out).
Some time later, Finn suggested we all go out for a coffee. We walked to the cafe in the marina building and had a relaxing drink looking out over the water.
Some time later, Finn suggested we all go out for a coffee. We walked to the cafe in the marina building and had a relaxing drink looking out over the water.
The rest of our evening was spent packing and double checking we were ready to leave early the next morning. We did let ourselves have a packing break to go drink/spend time with a few people we had made friends with over the last few days. It was great, especially when we played Celebrity Head. Tom and I didn’t stay as long as Meryn or Finn; I couldn’t keep my eyes open!
We walked back to the room and that was it. Our last day in Paihia was over!
Time for the next adventure!!


No comments:
Post a Comment