The really great thing is that I'm actually loving how busy I am. I'm normally the kind of person who has to spend the whole morning preparing for a one hour lecture at 1pm and then spends the rest of the day relaxing because of the effort required for that hour. Getting used to walking 20 minutes to and from University (as opposed to the 5 minute walk when I lived on campus) was a struggle at first as well.
I'm doing a lot more this year than I was last year. Obviously I'm still doing my degree (and blogging about it for the University!) but I have a whole bunch of other stuff going on as well! I now take a Welsh For Adults course every Tuesday in the University and I cannot describe how happy I am to be studying Welsh again. One day I might be able to find the words to explain how much I love my country and it's language but for now I'll just say that even though it means I don't finish until 9pm, I look forward to my Welsh class all week long.
In addition to learning Welsh, I've also joined the British Sign Language society. I've wanted to learn sign language for a few years now but the courses have either been miles away from me (a huge issue in University especially) or have been ridiculously expensive. I was disappointed but I figured I'd just have to wait until I was either rich or lived somewhere non-in-the-middle-of-nowhere. Then I discovered that for just £5 (five pound!) I could join the BSL Society and have a years worth of Sign Language lessons. If that isn't the greatest thing ever, then you're wrong because it is. I don't think I get a qualification out of it at the end (I do with Welsh) but I really don't mind since it's a start! The first lesson is tonight and I'm so excited!
Now don't laugh (I'm looking at you Anthony and Sophie) but I've joined the dance society as well. I told you not to laugh! I know I can't dance but it only costs £10 for the year and they have about 5 different dance classes on every day of the week. Ballet, Zumba, Tap, Breakdancing... There's so many choices! I'm going to Bellydancing tonight and Salsa on Monday and I can't wait. Bellydancing could turn out to be more hilarious than anything else but I'm going with Meryn and Anna so I will have people there to stop myself from dying of embarrassment!
My fiiiiiiiinal piece of news to share (I told you I was busy!) is more society news. One of the new societies offered to students this year is the Psychology Society. Last week, there was a meeting with the Societies and Activities Officer from the student's union for the election of the society's committee. To cut a long story short, I have been elected as the Secretary for the society! Basically it is an administrative role but I'm so so proud that I have it! I have to take the minutes at the meeting, write the weekly email to the members, deal with the society's correspondence and I maintain all of the records for the society. I'm looking forward to helping run a society I have such a strong interest in and I'm really excited to learn everything I'm going to learn. It goes on my CV as well, how great is that?!
I feel like your brain will be almost as mushy as my brain after reading about everything I'm doing at the moment. I'm sorry if that's the case! I'm going to end this super long post now as I need to work on my CV and get ready for Belly dancing. I'm hoping to start blogging regularly as soon as I get used to my new routine. Until then, I'll leave you with this fantastic YouTube channel (and my favourite video). Enjoy!
*I checked and I have been living here for almost 3 weeks. It feels like so much longer/shorter. Oh man, my brain is just a squidgy mess.
No comments:
Post a Comment